Journey Towards Wholeness (JTW) is the name for the Unitarian Universalist Association (UUA) initiative to develop anti-oppressive, multicultural, anti-racist ways of being in the world so that we can truly live by our Principles. Read more about the UUA Journey Towards Wholeness initiative.
Our Journey Towards Wholeness Transformation Team
Current members of the JTW Team include: Jill Miller and Jaki Lee (Co-Chairs).
The JTW is actively seeking applications for membership. Please look for the JTW table at hospitality hour on Sundays or contact Charles Williams or Jaki Lee for more information.
Part of the JTW program involves having separate identity groups for people of color and people who identify as white. For information about the Allies for Racial Equity (formerly called "white allies") contact Ingrid Mittamaier; for information about the people of color identity group, please contact Charles Williams.
The Journey Towards Wholeness Transformation Team of the First Unitarian Church of Oakland works with the congregation, including the leadership, through organizing and training to help the church become a fully anti-racist/anti-oppressive institution.
- We work to understand how racism and oppression have shaped our lives.
- We engage in meaningful dialog about the ways we experience internalized racism and oppression.
- We develop tools to move beyond guilt and blame.
- We create a process to help those involved in all aspects of church life begin dismantling racism and oppression individually, organizationally, and institutionally.
- We help the church make connections to other groups in the community making anti-racist/anti-oppressive change.
Can you imagine...